Your (former) Quizzomaster and Scorebabe: Ready for Action

Thursday, August 23, 2007

What should have been our last slow night of the summer (just wait until the interns return) was unusually crowded. Of course a large contingency of Yelpers smack dab in the middle of the room there to judge the bar and the Quizzo helped fill the place up. Yelp is one of those social networking sites built around people who like to recommend places to complete strangers. Don't get me wrong, they're lovely people, but they seem awfully positive.

Check out some of their reviews at Yelp and you'll see what I mean. I don't know how you find so much to complain about at a bar and then go ahead and give it 4 or 5 stars. Don't like the food, bathrooms, service, or even the condiments? No problem, you're still highly rated. What does a place have to do to earn your derision, serve severed fingers in the fry basket? (That's your token C. Thomas Howell reference of the day; enjoy!). Then again maybe that free pitcher of beer they won for best team name helped take the edge off the evening for them. Don't blog drunk kids, you're only hurting yourself and your Yelp Fan Rating or whatever.

Interesting to learn that they actually planned ahead and based their name on my advice. The fact that their name (Dogfighting on the Outside, Cockfighting on the Inside) got such a great crowd response can only mean that I am always right and you kids should listen to me more often.

Speaking of douchebags, here's a really fantastic Pub Trivia article about the guys in Denver I mentioned earlier. I'm not saying I agree with all their methods, but holy cow they've got a loyal audience. I mean, my teams are great, but their customers' loyalty is pretty damn fierce. Then again, they're in Denver, what else do they have to do with their lives except trivia?

Lastly, a cool link that came my way this week for any of you looking for confirmation that you pay too much to rent in DC (or wherever). I love the Intronet. It's neato.


GAME ONE
$30 WINNERS: One Less Bush for All 33









$20 WINNERS: Clavins 31









$10 WINNERS: Only Little People Get Heart Disease 30










Touch My Monkey 11
Quizzo in the HIzzo for Shizzo 13
Why Couldn't NASA Kill My Teacher Too? (I have a test tomorrow) 29
Lowered Expectations 26
Waiting for Beckham to take his Shirt off Again 26
Alberto, Doesn't Your Family Need You Too? 23
Hell Just GOt a Little More Mean 24
Dean's Going to Mexico 23
Pour House is my Favorite Gay Bar 18
Rape Stand 18
Three Women and a Little baby 21
Dogfighting on the Outside, Cockfighting on the Inside 26
Hurricane Filner Takes Out Dulles 28
Team at the Bar 21
Dean! Jamaican Me Wet 29

GAME TWO: Advice for new Middle Schoolers
$30 WINNERS: Clavins 34









$20 WINNERS: Only Fuck the Rich Boys 32 (tiebreak winners)









$10 WINNERS: That's Not What a Compass is For 32









Binge with Prozac, Purge with RU-486 29
There's No Such Thing as a Permanent Record 29
The Test She Could Not Blow: A Pop Quizzo 22
School Dances are for Losers 7
Suck, Don't Blow 30
I Hear the Retarded Girl Gives Special Ed 15
Don't Tell Your Dad "I Understand that Cinderella Joke Now" 22
Second Base Tops 24
Fat Kids are Hard to Kidnap 28
You Can't Get Pregnant if you take it in the Ass 23
To Catch a Predator just got Easier 22
Don't Rub Teacher's Middle Leg 28
Don't Tell Quiz Guy Where the Clavins Touched You 26
Team at the Bar 24

No comments: