Your (former) Quizzomaster and Scorebabe: Ready for Action

Thursday, January 10, 2008

...and I Feel Fine

Sorry I've been away from the blog for so long. I'm sure both of my avid readers have been mystified by my absence. (Hi Mom! Hi Dad!) Let's chalk it up to unexpected guests, holiday traveling, general apathy, grand planning and major life-changing decisions. Oh, and that new Texas Hold 'Em application I got on Facebook...

For those of you who weren't at the Pour House this week or who aren't on my personal Quizzo-email-listserv or who didn't see the Going Out Gurus article, let me be the first to tell you: I'm walking away from my weekly Quizzo game. After this month, I retire. I quit. Daddy don't come around here no more. You and I will have to get our drunk on and our trivia fix from some other corner of the city. I recommend SmartAss, which started up again this week, but that's only because Andy's the best host I've ever met besides me.

As to why I'm leaving, I wish there was some cool, philosophical answer that would leave everyone satisfied. Basically, I'm tired. Y'all have whipped my butt. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't going to miss it, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't secretly overjoyed to have my life back. Because while Quizzo is just one night a week for you, it's been a 3-4 night a week job for me. For six years. Think about it. Question writing, blog updates, The Show: it all takes up a lot of time. But soon it will not.

But until that time we have some Quizzo-ing to do. There are three more left this month and then it is ovah. Management is working on getting some extra-special prizes for the 29th, my last night, but I'll try to score some stuff for the next two weeks as well. Going away presents if you will.

Hope to see you out for one last game. And if not... oh well.

xoxo,

Neal

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You'll be missed.
It might not set in for a couple of weeks, but when Quizzo has been my Tuesday staple for so many years (I think I'm the longest tenured participant, but I won't swear to it), there'll suddenly be this huge void in my life. And now with the writer's strike, I can't even use it to stay current on shows.

A great atmosphere. Fun people. Quality questions. You worked very hard to make Quizzo what it is. And once again that wealth of totally useless knowledge I have will once again be rendered... well... useless.

A sincere thanks for all the effort you've put in over the years.

Unknown said...

I'm not going to pretend like I'm not upset- because I am. But I can't imagine how time consuming quizzo is. Now that you're making an honest woman out of Becca, and work seems like it is kicking your ass, you can have your life back. We've squeezed everything we could out of you.

Thanks for making me feel so welcome during first years in the District- I won't forget my time at the Pourhouse, or the friends I made along the way.